Today is the sixth day of 2011. In a few hours, I will get off work, travel the .5 mile homeward and from there it will be up in the air.
The time off from work over the holidays was well needed as I was guaranteed a “productive” new year and so far those words have rang very true. My company is on trial in Miami for the next month and I’ve been working on my computer a little too much this week. My eyeballs hurt… like, probably in the depths beyond the blue, they are burning a fierce red back there and my hand has been clicking the mouse so much that my shoulder has an ache where my arm is propped up on the desk. Things needed: closed eyes and a good masseuse.
So it’s a new year and perhaps everyone attempts to become more introspective and contemplative about the new year. We think about the things that we didn’t enjoy about last year and set out to change for the upcoming year… like the sea of wide- eyed gym newbies that are two beats beats of an 8-count and attempting to keep up in Step class, or there are those trying to figure out why that stability ball is only a half ball and why they heck its called a Bosu. Dang, at this time it seems like we’re all out there searching for how we should change or do better.
I always feel as if I can do better in whatever I do… but I am pretty pleased with where 2010 left me. A lot of things happened which I look back and am so thankful, things that I wouldn’t change for anything, people and friendships who have entered my life as others have departed or those that have stepped in and really challenged me. I smile as I know that God has truly blessed me with love from others.
Inwardly/spiritually the growth has been substandard. A lot of 2010, I felt like I was learning a lot from others, even helping them out more than I was focused on turning around and looking introspectively at myself to fight and get to the bottom of some of my own battles. There were points of 2010 that were motivating and inspiring. There were months where I remember really pushing and striving towards goals. Where things would falter, however would be when life would catch up and I would become too busy. It seemed that good things would be getting in the way of other really good things in my life and so some of those, I had to shed off and end.
However, through it all, I do believe I grew in knowledge. Time after time this past year I was constantly learning something… something new or old… or maybe I was just finally getting the point to it all. You know, like that magical time where all the dust has settled and you can finally just see? This happened a lot. And a lot of times when things did resound and ring clear, decisions had to be made and sometimes fought for. Fighting for things, I learned, is a good thing. It helps you better understand why you believe in that which you really do believe. In 2010 knowledge was gained… by making decisions and understanding everything surrounding why I made them.
Romantically, 2010 was interesting to say the least. I became a friend. I became a person who dated a married man because the married man never told me he was still married (yeah, think on THAT a while). I became interested in a guy I was never attracted to but by knowing this person for a while found that there were very attractive qualities about him that I’d never seen before. I became a dreamer of old friends and memories of good times and why nothing ever seemed to work out between us both. I became aware of a person whom I’d extremely liked had a girlfriend and didn’t tell me until I logged onto Facebook and found out that way (so lame, don’t ever do that to your friends). I became a person who could forgive and move past others’ past mistakes to learn (and still learn) to retrust. I became a fighter (in a good way). And finally, I became the me I am planned out to be… whoever, whenever, and however that decides to happen someday, I'm not worried.
This blog is running a little long. There’s more to say (I’m sure) so I’m hoping to keep up the writing more and not just post pretty pictures… even though pretty pictures are really really lovely.
Fumbling for a closing paragraph… that I’m taking from an older posting. I think I’ll end with part of a chapter in Psalm that has been speaking to me for the past week or so… the reference is Psalm 103, the whole chapter is good but here are verses 1-5.
“Praise the Lord, O my soul; all my inmost being, praise his holy name. Praise the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits – who forgives all your sins, and heals all your diseases, who redeems your life from the pit and crowns you with love and compassion, who satisfies your desires with good things so that your youth is renewed like the eagle’s.”
verses 15-16.
“As for man, his days are like grass, he flourishes like a flower of the field; the wind blows over it and it is gone, and its place remembers it no more.”
and verses 21-22.
“Praise the Lord, all his heavenly hosts, you his servants who do his will. Praise the Lord, all his works everywhere in his dominion. Praise the Lord, O my soul.”
SIGNED: 2011 WONDERS
3 comments:
I love Psalm 103 and I love it when verses speak to me like that. Love love LOVE it.
Here's to 2011 - I hope you have an amazing year!
I do love this blog post so very much. Thanks for writing this and for being so vulnerable. It helped me. :)
~calista~: thank you... hope you have a great year as well!
Laura Elizabeth: thanks... i just felt like getting some stuff out in the air... felt good to write this. :)
Post a Comment