LA Galaxy is set to play the FC Dallas today. They had built a huge marketing campaign over David Beckham's arrival in Dallas. Thank goodness my family has season tickets to the FC Dallas games and we already had good seats for this huge game.However... if you have been following the MLS you know that Becks has an ankle injury. The injury is so "bad" that he's only played probably a total of 19 minutes in his past three or four matches with the Galaxy. He also did not make the trip to Dallas today.
Beckham is a no show... but it will not spoil our soccer game. Some co-workers and I are leaving immediately from work to go tailgate over at the park. I wonder how many people won't show up now that Beckham isn't playing.
I agree with what they wrote in the paper this morning... "The people who are only buying tickets because of one player are getting what they deserved," said Travis Bell, president of FC Dallas' unofficial fan club, the Inferno. It IS ridiculous.
America does not understand that it takes a whole team to win a soccer game. You can have a star on your team, like David Beckham or Landon Donovan... but in most cases, this player will be simply a player. This person will in most cases not come into the game and score 2 goals or more.
The thing about soccer is that it is a team sport. Every player must do their part. One bad trap, one bad pass and the game is turned around... just like in basketball. But where it differs is that basketball CAN have those "star" playes that propel their team to a win because they scored so many baskets. Soccer is simply different. And fans can't just come out to see one person OR, like the quote said, you will be disappointed.
Now if Becks HAD traveled, of COURSE I would be thrilled. Even if he didn't play... I'd still get to see him sitting beautifully on the bench. *Sigh*
SIGNED: FC DALLAS AVERAGES 14,497 TICKETS SOLD... TONIGHTS GAME IS 20,500 TICKETS SOLD OUT... IT'LL BE FUN JUST BEING IN THAT ENVIRONMENT TO SEE A SOCCER MATCH! GO BUY YOUR W MAGAZINE, NOW!
2 comments:
ahhh beckham. he is indeed amazing (and unbelievably good looking, and i don't even like blonde boys generally) but i do agree. the team matters in soccer. crazy people:-P
Ack! I'm so late to the game... I just now realized you actually started the blogging!
Post a Comment