One of my best friends Nicole recently moved to New York... this is our story.
We both signed up for a rec soccer team called Blue Fire and that is where our friendship began.
In middle school on a bus to a track meet, we shared fits of laughter over a snack called Gobble Stix that her mom had packed in a sack lunch. These meat snacks resembled string cheese, only with turkey. Turkey doesn’t string, don’t try.
At track meets, we would sit at the tops of the bleachers and swoon over Kirk Seiling and Jimmy Alfredo as they ran the 3600m. Both were from the other middle school in town, and we secretly had mad crushes on them. Later on we would play many games of MASH using their names (and only their names) to pass time.
Club soccer days found their way to us and so did that horrid club jacket that we both wore with Gazelles or Sambas many more days than needed.
Brandi Todd’s mom would take us to Sidekick games so we could see Tatu throw his shirt into the crazy crowd of soccer moms screaming louder than the kids they brought. We would pregame jam to TLC’s, Waterfalls… over and over and over again (“no more lonely cries”).
At Kelly Schlicter’s house we probably watched Troop Beverly Hills 1000 times… and also wondered what the big deal was with Claudia Schiffer and why Kelly’s cute older brother, Scott, had a mad obsession with the woman (I mean, we def looked like that in middle school, why wasn’t he going for us?!!).
Kelly was one of those kids whose parents bought her and her brother their own “kids line”. Our slumber parties would consist of calling boys on three-way and flirting in that goofy way that all middle school kids do (your friend calls for you and they talk to the guy while you listen on the other line). Two boys I def remember talking to: Ian Smith and John Rogers. Giggles galore!
Early morning soccer came around in highschool. Her mom and my dad would alternate taking us to practices at 6:15am. Her mom picking me up all groggy-eyed in the beloved Volvo station wagon as I waited drinking on my thick Vanilla shake of Carnation Instant Breakfast. Why I drank this before soccer practice, I’ll still never know… But she had a Pop-Tart or Toaster Streudel, so she was no better off.
After practice and before 2nd period, we would empty out our Lotto bags onto the bench to reveal all the clothes we would mix/match and trade for the day. We traded overalls a lot, not only because she had them in every style, but because in the 90’s, overalls were a hot commodity (ehhh, thumbs way down on that one).
We didn’t quite understand everything that girls had to do to get ready in the morning- hair dryers/curling irons/the makeup thing (hello all drill teamers!). So since we were “late bloomers” and hadn’t developed anything called hips yet we would squeeze ourselves into lockers and take pictures instead (relying on our natural beauty to help get us through the day).
She enjoyed coming over to my house… I enjoyed going over to hers.
Lisa Loeb “You Say” was in the player and in our hearts.
My family was her family and she thought my brother Matt was a nice guy, and still is.
Life rolled on as we moved into different crowds but somehow we always remained consistent to each other, no matter what.
She called one late night, tears flowing and there was never a doubt that I had to go pick her up. It was a meaningful night and all I remember was that I just wanted to be there for her and give her the family I am so blessed to have. It was a hard night for her and one I’ll never forget.
Senior year, we decided to ditch the boys and go stag together to Prom. Best decision we ever made as we entitled the theme for the night, Backless, Strapless, Dateless! Later on, in the middle of a street, a dance party broke out amongst ourselves and Chris McCosslin. The song was Spice Girls, “If You Wanna Be My Lover” and we killed it… with super hot dance moves and poses (believe me).
College was next… her to NY and me to West Texas – keeping in contact via DIAL UP/AIM and such.
She started talking to a (“party”) boy named Tim and I started talking to a guy named Jim Bob in which she made crazy fun of, along with the fact that I also joined a sorority.
People up north referred to her as “Texas” and (I’m going to say) she secretly missed it because ALL people that move away from Texas really do.
Visits were rare, but they happened and we would catch up.
Upon graduation, she moved back and we randomly moved in together (but we were in the ‘burbs, not in the city… so it was innnnterrrreesting, nonetheless). We enjoyed watching Seth Cohen on the OC and even dressed up as our favorite characters. The closest place to drink was Addison (ugh) and we would all too often end up at Sherlocks and get hit on by drunk skeezes that tend to inhabit the bar scene in that neck of the woods.
Skipping ahead.
The past years have been too fun and special. Many things I could write and the stories of good times are never ending. I’ll share a list of a few more things…
Sucking in our cheeks to resemble a certain one of her ex-roomates – Summer Brew – Scrabble – too many crazy and fun nights at The Gingerman – ITBC - Becoming members of the Black Performing Arts club – Fanta Girls – Guess Who – little puppies – Vino 100 – HOB comedy night - homeade candy corn - veggie dinner nights – Savor Dallas with a huge bag of meat - super mega-large 4th of July cupcakes – the continual sharing of eachother’s clothes – mall montages - her pearl colored Mini Cooper and my pearl colored Miata, twinks! – trolley riding – Bananagram – Slip Inn - sweet talks always –
SIGNED: MISSES YOU ALREADY. ALWAYS FOREVER AND EVER (amen).

1 comment:
I heart you!
Post a Comment