Where to begin...
How can I possibly summarize what this holiday season has been for my family and myself. I don't believe that my family has ever been hit as hard as we were this holiday season. Five deaths in one month. Five people who impacted my life at one point in one way or another. Five memories that will be just that... memories. The thing is, is that I still feel like any one of them could still be here... it doesn't feel as if they really are gone. But they are... and all I have are the memories of each one.
Nola Foster was my childhood friend, Renee's grandmother... she went as "Mema" to the both of us. I've known Renee' and Nola since I was three when my family moved to Coppell and we first started attending church at FBC Coppell. For as long as I can remember, Nola was in the pew every Sunday up until she was too weak to make it there anymore. She was faithful to her church and to her family and friends. Just today, my family and I were watching old home videos from Christmas and one of the presents under the tree was a crocheted poncho that Nola had knit for my little sister. She cared about making holidays special even if they weren't nationally recognized... like birthdays. Every birthday I had up until this year, Nola sent me birthday cards. I knew even when opening the envelope that it was from her because I could recognize her handwriting. It was nothing big or flashy... simply a card to let me know she remembered even if I hadn't seen her six months time. Her funeral was a bittersweet day, that being that the date fell on my birthday. As i sat in the pew singing "How Great Thou Art" and other old hymns that she loved, I couldn't help but be touched remembering her life and the loving kindness she had shown to me.
When Christ shall come, with shout of acclamation,
And take me home, what joy shall fill my heart.
Then I shall bow, in humble adoration,
And then proclaim: "My God, how great Thou art!"
Then sings my soul, My Saviour God, to Thee,
How great Thou art, How great Thou art.
Then sings my soul, My Saviour God, to Thee,
How great Thou art, How great Thou art!
Randy Maples lived at the church when I was growing up. Well, not literally. I knew Randy because he was the church janitor. The one who locked the doors, turned off the lights, and vacuumed up all the glitter, we as G.A.'s would spill, all over the floor. Randy I believe hated glitter with a passion. If he heard the phrase, "Glitter is the Herpes of all Craft Supplies"... he would probably start laughing. Randy was passionate about keeping a clean, functioning, and smoothly running church. I'd have to hand it to Randy because he had a extraordinary heart for the service he routinely performed. A noble steward with a servant's heart, I'm positive that Randy is delighted to be in the magnificent house of the Lord right now.
John 14:2 In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you. 3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am.
Ken Cogburn is my uncle and my dad's younger brother who lives in Florida. I received word of his death probably three days ago. His death was clearly unexpected even though he had a major triple bi-pass surgery some time ago. Even though we knew he wasn't doing all that well... he wasn't doing horribly bad either. There was nothing new/recent to draw suspicion that his health was going to soon fail. And then his death happened abruptly. Both my dad and mom knew his time was probably going to be short and that the months post surgery were "brownie" points adding to his life, but you never can expect death to hit as soon and as suddenly as it does. Ken was my uncle who was a writer and journalist. He worked for many newspapers and managed to write a book or so with my aunt Bea. When I think of Ken, I think of someone who never laid roots down in one spot... he loved to move around and was somewhat of an entrepreneur in a way. Even though I didn't know him all that well I could sense his free-spirit and ways that his creativity moved him.
Bro. Lou was my hometown church's pastor and the man that helped lead me to the Lord and baptized me. When I think of childhood memories in the church... I think of Bro. Lou. When I think of Bro. Lou, I think of amazing sermons. I think of a pastor who was so friendly and kind and of a preacher who always ended his sermons urging people to know who our Lord and Saviour is. I remember his jokes, laughing in the pews and a sign that he would hold up that read, "Great-Big-'Ol". I even remember the smell of the cologne he wore! What great memories of a man whom so many knew and loved deeply. Another thing about Bro. Lou is that loved Christmastime... in fact, he celebrated it year round. He kept two or more trees up at his house with all the Christmas decorations inside because he thought that Christ's birth should be recognized every day. Whether or not there is any "fitting" time for death, I believe that the Lord took Bro. Lou home during this time because he loved Christmas so much. Though I'm sad I won't see him again, I am fortunate to have heard his last sermon... which was at Nola's funeral. Though he needed help getting up the stage, he still delivered an amazing "Bro. Lou" style sermon, and as always ended it with asking us if we knew who our Lord and Savior was. I love that about him. I love that he had a heart for the people and for spreading God's word. He was an amazing man that will be missed by so many lives that he individually touched.
Ecclesiastes 3 (The Message)
CT Kelly, my grandfather and my mom's rock. Times spent with T I would describe as very comforting. If we were just watching TV or reading the paper or a book, the times we spent together were simple yet heart-warming. Several lunchbreaks we were able to enjoy when he was in town for doctor's appointments. We talked politics, the Dallas Cowboys, country music and the opera. Whether we talked or sat in silence, I cherish those times. At T's funeral a few weeks ago, there was an open casket for the family to view, talk, cry, reminisce... and we did just that. Had it not been for that evening that we all gathered together, we may have all lost it the following day. For me though, the whole process from the funeral to the burial was somewhat cleansing. "A Life Well Lived" is a post about T and his life and a life well lived is just what I'll remember him for. As I sat that afternoon at the graveside service, the West Texas wind whipping through my hair, I knew I just wanted to sit there a little bit longer... just give me a little bit longer to sit with my grandfather... to have that simple silence that I remembered us enjoying. There was a beautiful sky that afternoon and I felt at peace with everything even though I didn't know I would have such reassuring feelings about it all. It's strange how the Lord works. How He seems to ravel and unravel our lives.... It helps us know Him better, even though we don't understand his ways or timing... I do know however that he is faithful.
Psalm 111-1:-10
Hallelujah! I give thanks to God with everything I've got—
Wherever good people gather, and in the congregation.
God's works are so great, worth
A lifetime of study—endless enjoyment!
Splendor and beauty mark his craft;
His generosity never gives out.
His miracles are his memorial—
This God of Grace, this God of Love.
He gave food to those who fear him,
He remembered to keep his ancient promise.
He proved to his people that he could do what he said:
Hand them the nations on a platter—a gift!
He manufactures truth and justice;
All his products are guaranteed to last—
Never out-of-date, never obsolete, rust-proof.
All that he makes and does is honest and true:
He paid the ransom for his people,
He ordered his Covenant kept forever.
He's so personal and holy, worthy of our respect.
The good life begins in the fear of God—
Do that and you'll know the blessing of God.
His Hallelujah lasts forever!
SIGNED: AND TO ALL A GOOD NIGHT - MERRY CHRISTMAS
2 comments:
Oh, Christin, I can't imagine losing all those people in such a short amount of time. Thank you for writing this- they all seem like they were such great people and I'm so glad you had such inspiration in your life. I hope you have a very Merry Christmas- thanks for making me appreciate my loved ones even more today- I needed that! Love you!!!
My goodness. I can not believe that you have lost so many people over the past month. I'm so sorry for all of your losses. Your section over your grandfather made me cry again. It just makes me think about when the time will come that MY grandpa will go to the lord and how that is going to be extremely difficult.
Much love and Merry Christmas, Christin!
Post a Comment