27 February 2008

WHERE THE FAM DISCOVERED SCRABBLE

As of late, Miss Nicole and I have had a hankering to play the lovely game of SCRABBLE. Oh what joy this game brings into my life and my vacations... Allow me to explain.
Years ago on one of my families Hawaii vacations, we stayed in a condo which had this game. Before this vacation, the game SCRABBLE was unknown to the Cogburn clan (you can say we were more a Trivial Pursuit, Yahtzee and Monopoly fam). As you guessed, we learned how to play that year in Hawaii.

So every year since then SCRABBLE has been a regular visitor to our condo (not every night but just a few good nights)... and yes, some very fortunate sibling has the honor of packing it time and time again. One year someone forgot to pack the game. Of course we couldn't do without (it's tradition!!) so we went to the Long's Drugstore and bought one just so we could engage in some late-night word spelling action.

I'd say it's become an addiction that we just can't free ourselves from. Hawaii + Condo ALWAYS = SCRABBLE! And so from Thanksgiving to Christmas to any time the fam gets together we get in a few games.

I think it was the last game that we played... Sister and I found out that "woot" had become an official word in the English dictionary.

How thrilled we were because now "woot" could finally land on the SCRABBLE board without getting booed by mi madre or mi padre.

So mi padre ended up impressing us all when he played his four tiles and spelled out the beloved word (this is also the man who always, ALWAYS ends up with 12 words when the buzzer ends in Scattergories whether they're make sense or not). HUGE ERUPTION OF APPLAUSE FOR OUR POPS!!... Sister and I hooked him in on what is the greatest word used in all of the Teen Girl Squad episodes even though I'm pretty sure he hasn't used it since.

SIGNED: IT'S OVER!

PS: I wrote all of this just because I wanted to post that picture of those blocks I found on the Three Potato Four webstore. Pretty sure they're all sold out, so you'll have to just go find or make your own!

2 comments:

mlg said...

one of my weekly podcast had this girl on who has just published a zine (scrabble freaks) about the culture of scrabble players, including the article: Ever judge a date on their Scrabble technique?

It sounds really fun, but I'm not going to order it from the Australia. But since she was on the show I've been itching for a game too. Isn't there a facebook app you can play? I'm going to go app browsing. Bye!

ckuretich said...

mmm TEEN GIRL SQUAD!!!!! man i love that, it makes me happy any old day. love the Scrabble post! Never played, can you believe that??? looks like i need to...